2007-09-15

I thought I knew my skin!



Personally I have been struggling poor facial skin for the longest time. Started at about 16 years old I guess. Yes... this picture is my real face. Hope I didn't blind you with my Brad Pitt mug. It has been known to happen. If you find yourself feeling faint, don't worry... you are not the first.


Now, here I am in my late 20s, still bothered by this issue. It has not left me alone after my adolescence had passed. (Or maybe am I still an adolescent, and I have not really passed that stage of my life? I am still easily entertained by computer games, Ultraman cartoons and the like)


Anyhow... I have many well meaning friends and relatives who have tried to improve the appearance of my skin. Among the many things I have tried:


  1. Clarifying, deep pore cleansing cleanser, pore retightening, alcohol free, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, alpha hydroxy acids cleanser + toner + moisturisers. This includes, but is not limited to the brands Artistry, J&J, Neutrogena, Biotherm, Proactiv, Oxy, Clearasil, Biore, Ginvera and some others I can't recall.

  2. Using skin peeling gels (Retin A)

  3. Drinking more water (3 litres a day)

  4. Oral Antibiotics.

  5. Blotting excess oil

  6. Pimple creams

  7. General health supplements

For items 2 and 4, they were suggestions by a qualified dermatologist. And lo and behold, after 3 days, I did notice marked improvement. The downside was I had to down antibiotic pills like there was no tomorrow. This is an effort to sterilise my body of acne causing bacteria. However that was 10 years ago. After some months had passed, my body began protesting against the pill intake. I had extreme hunger pangs, waking up in the wee hours of the morning to eat and drink to stop the rumbling. I decided it wasn't a long term solution for me.


Item 7 is interesting. I had joined an Amway group before because among the forefront of Amway marketing strategies is 'Health and Wellness'. So I tried their Nutrilite and Artistry range. Amongst the advice given is that I should eat about 3x the normal dosage of Nutrilite supplements because I have bad skin. So like a good little soldier, I tried. The above picture was taken when I was consuming my Nutrilite rations. I still honestly believe Amway products are truly good. But I must face the fact that it is not effective for me. Bet you it works for thousands of others though.


I finally plucked the courage to go to a skin centre to have a consult. What I heard really gave me food for thought. I am told I actually have sensitive and dehydrated skin. I was waiting for the word 'oily', but that did not come into the conversation till I brought it up myself. I am told my skin secreted extra oil to compensate for lack of moisture. They advised me to fix the moisture problem, which will then help my oil problem, which will also help my acne.


I've never been given such advice before for my skin. It seems to make perfect logical sense. What should Jack do now?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well as far as I am concerned, dermatological problems are not easy to solve. Find one which suits you best and stick with it.

Observations of an Incredible Person! Positive self talk is half the battle!