2008-12-15

Roasted Chicken and other updates


Ha! Another entry in my blog! Which I'm sure no one else reads because its only updated twice a year maybe and I never publicise it except when I feel like it.


So Saturday night, I had a themed dinner event with my colleagues. Theme was East and West. Emphasis on having both elements together in the dressing. Almost 90% came in a chinese top. Some were more adventerous, doing Thai, Japanese, hip hop street style. One of them even crossed dressed, as in a guy wearing a ladies' gown. Undoubtedly this one drew the most cat calling and photo oppurtunities. I myself went to Giant hypermarket to get a casual Indian top. The food was quite tasty, and mostly italian fare done in buffet style. The restaurant is Rick's Cafe Casblanca at One Bangsar. Our event occupied the entire upper floor. Quite happy to see that we had 90% turnout in numbers and all took some effort to match the evening's theme. There was free flow of wine, red and white. Of course, this lead to some extravagant toasting attempts, and many had to chill out after the dinner to allow the effects of alcohol to settle down.
Christmas is just round the corner.


Oh yeah, my house has been fitted with Astro now. That's Malaysia's sattelite TV service, and has channels like CNN, BBC, HBO, Hallmark etc. But my favourite channel is Discovery Travel and Living, and also the Asian Food Channel (AFC). Favourite program is cooking shows. Its just so relaxing to watch food being prepared. No Hell's Kitchen for me thank you. Gordon Ramsay is too theatrical and the show is far removed from any level of sanity. But I do know people who are fans... so to each his and her own.


I'm always amazed at how the western chefs do so much with their ovens. So I decided to try using our "oven" for a cooking attempt. Except... that I don't have a real oven. My home only has a toaster oven. So here is my first attempt using a toaster oven to try roasting a chicken.
Mom had bought a really nice and clean Nutriplus air dried chicken from Carrefour last Friday. Very clean bird, and the flesh just looked lovely. Saw a tip from a show by Kylie Kwong, to cook the chicken in the oven but wrapped in foil first. After an hour, remove the foil to start the roasting proper. Cooking in foil will ensure the chicken is steamed with lots of moisture first, thus keeping the juices.
So my recipe today was taken from some internet website and the cooking method from Kylie.

1 chicken, about 1.5kg, cavity cleaned

5 cloves of garlic

1/2 a large red onion

2 tbsp paprika powder

1 tsp dried rosemary leaves

1/2 cup of olive oil

1 lemon

Salt

Black pepper

Aluminium foil.
1. Make sure chicken is properly defrosted.

2. Rinse chircken cavity and season with salt and pepper.

3. Cut lemon in half. Stick one of the lemon halves into the chicken cavity.

4. Pound garlic and onion in a pestle and mortar. And some salt while pounding to increase abrasion.

5. Once onion and garlic are evenly mushed up, add paprika and rosemary. Pound again.

6. Add olive oil to pounded mixture, and stir with spoon. If you choose to pound it instead of spooning, you'll just make a mess I think ^.^

7. Rub chicken all over with mixture... i mean, rub mixture all over the chicken

8. With leftover lemon half, cut into 4 slices to obtain 4 circular pieces.

9. Oil a roasting tray.

10. Lay 4 pieces of lemon on the oven roasting tray.

11. Place chicken on lemon. The lemon pieces prevent the chicken skin/flesh from direct contact with the tray.

12. Cover roasting tray with aluminium foil. Wrap it well, keeping in mind to not allow any gaps, else moisture will escape.

13. Place into oven at 250 celsius for 1 hour.

14. After 1 hour, remove from oven and discard foil.

15. Place back into oven for 45 minutes.

Here is the result!

Tada! Chicken from toaster oven




Extremely juicy and tender. So juicy I had problems to cut it up because juice was spurting out everywhere. Maybe I should have rested the chicken on a drip tray or something. The flavour is very simple, but my mom quite likes it. So I feel validated enough ho ho ho. More paprika would've given the roast a deeper colour too. The original internet recipe called for onion and garlic powder too, not fresh onion and garlic. Maybe that made it too wet too.
I count this as a success!


Maybe I can roast something every other week. God knows my bottle of paprika powder still has lots of leftovers! I wonder what else can you use paprika for? I add rosemary to my fried eggs and tuna sandwich fillings. But paprika is a mystery still.


So I think I will do the same roast for Christmas. Will do my roasted mash patatoes too, and think of something for a cold salad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jack! Looks as good as it sounds....I'd love to try it someday! Perhaps you can come to Perth and roast me a chicken with potatoes....using a proper oven :p

Observations of an Incredible Person! Positive self talk is half the battle!